The Hamilton Metalplane Company, which merged with Boeing in 1926, built some of the earliest all-metal US aircraft. The H-47 was one.
It was corrugated aluminium skinned in the Junkers style. The high wings were semi-cantilevers, unsupported apart from pairs of parallel struts from the fuselage bottom edge to the wing close to the fuselage. The main legs of the fixed, tail wheel undercarriage were attached at the same wing points as the struts and joined laterally by inverted V bracing. The fuselage was flat sided, with wide windows to the passenger cabin under the wing. This was accessed via a port side door, aft of which was a smaller door into a baggage compartment. The two crew members sat in a cabin in front of the wings, accessed by a roof top hatch. The tail was conventional, with a braced tailplane.
The H-47 was powered by a single, uncowled, H-47 a 525 hp (390 kW) Pratt & Whitney Hornet 9-cylinder radial which allowed it to carry a useful load of 2300 lb (1043 kg).
It first flew in 1928 and could be mounted on floats. In all, 21 H-47s were built.