The first Ontario Provincial Air Service de Havilland D.H. 61 Giant Moth arrived in the Soo from England in July 1928. The second was purchased in 1932. Pilot Hec Ptolemy was put in charge of the Giant Moth and was given the title of Pilot in Charge of D.H. 61 Operations.
The usefulness of the plane was demonstrated to Lands and Forests Minister William Finlayson on an extended trip from Temagami to Rupert House, across James Bay to Albany Post, then to Red Lake and Woman Lake. The Giant Moth was tried out as a forest pest dusting airplane but the large wingspan and high undercarriage made it too difficult to manoeuver at the necessary low flying levels. Problems with the Bristol Jupiter engine led to its replacement with a 500 H.P. geared Pratt and Whitney Hornet.
|G-CAPG||1928||1941||damaged - wrote off|
|CF-OAK||1932||1936||damaged - wrote off|