Edward Walter (Ted)  Stull

Edward Stull joined the Ontario Provincial Air Service as a flight engineer in 1923 and obtained pilot’s license #301. He remained with the OPAS until 1928 during which time he pioneered air service to many Northern Ontario communities. During this time he established an Ontario flight time record by flying 12 hours and 25 minutes in a single day patrolling timber resources. In a report, to the media, in the summer of 1924, Captain Roy Maxwell of the OPAS, reported that Stull, along with pilot Duke Schiller had averaged 9 hours, flying a day, for 12 days in assisting ground crews coping with the extreme forest fire hazards. .

He joined Western Canada Airways, in 1928, establishing many local air routes in the Kenora/Red Lake areas. He married Winnifred Holland, daughter of Herbert Holland the first Mining Recorder in the Red Lake area, in Gold Pines Ontario, on July 29,1929. Miss Holland was the first teacher in Gold Pines and their marriage was the first in the community.

Edward Stull joined Canadian Airways with the opening of the prairie airmail service . He remained with them until 1932 during which time he established several aviation firsts including the First instrument-only flying in Canada and the first night time flying in Western Canada.

In 1934 he formed Wings Ltd. with Jack Moar, Roy Brown and Milt Ashton. While with them he pioneered air flights to many Arctic communities ferrying mining equipment and supplies. The operation was run successfully until it merged with General Airways and MacKenzie Air Services, in 1937, to form United Air Services. At the time Wings Ltd. consisted of 11 planes and 12 pilots.

In April 16 1937, the Winnipeg Tribune described how Ted Stull will be supervising "one of the largest freight contracts ever given in Manitoba". It involved a Fairchild 82 shipping 25 tons of mining materials from Churchill to Rankin Inlet by flying 45 650 mile round trips.

A May 11th 1937 Winnipeg Tribune article, reported a story of Ted Stull successfully landing a Fairchild 82 freighter on one ski, as the other ski was broken and dangling loosely. He had four passengers with him, none of who were injured. The article ends with a comment that other pilots, of the day, were high in their praise of Stull’s piloting as they read between the lines of Stull’s reported "Landed here safely; send rail transport".

In 1938 he joined the newly formed Trans-Canada Airlines His successful career with TCA led to his appointment as Eastern Superintendent in 1939 and later Western Region Operations Manager, based in Vancouver B.C. in 1948. He remained in this position until his death in 1956.

photos courtesy the Godfrey/Stull Family

Online Exhibits